Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mason's Journal Entry





Mason's third day:
Today was the BEST day of snowboarding I have ever had!!!  I woke up to another eight inches of snow and the back bowls got 12 to 18 inches of snow.  The back bowls are considered back country!  The name of the bowls are Copper Bowls  They are never groomed and you ride steep terrain.  The elevation in the bowls are 12,441 feet.  They have old chair lifts and T-bars that take  you to the top of the bowls.  Today I jumped into a bowl which means I jumped a cornice.  A cornice is a drop off a ledge into a bowl.  Some people call it a face wall.  It was five feet high.  When I jumped into it I felt like a pro snowboarder!!

The BEST part of my day was getting to take a CAT ride!  A CAT ride is when you get to ride to the top of a mountain where no chair lift can go.  It is as backcountry as it gets!  The CAT is the machine that is used to groom trails.  It seats about 10-12 people.  It took us 15 minutes to get to the top of the cat ride and then we had to kike 15 minutes to the top of Tucker Mountain.  I was very scared but felt like I was on top of the world!!  The snow was so deep that I got stuck five times.  My dad had to help me a couple times.  At the end of the run I was soooo tired that my legs felt like red jello!!

I have never snowboarded like that in my life!!  After I ate lunch I went to Woodward and jumped into the foam pits.  I got my competition bib and my number is 1553.  Tomorrow, I have practice on all of my events.  We also have a parade and opening ceremonies tomorrow.  Have a good weekend.

Mason




Mason's fourth day:

I had an unbelievable day that was so AWESOME!  My day started off with a couple runs with my coach, Whitney.  I had a practice for every event that I am doing.  I did practice for giant slalom, slalom, halfpipe, slopestyle and boardercross.  The giant slalom course and slalom course got rutted and rough.  The halfpipe is 18-22 feet tall.  I tink the halfpipe is in the best condition.  I got to meet Chas Guldemod at the top of the slopestyle course.  Chas was really nice and very funny.  The boardercross course was really nice.  The course was fast, fun, and I got to race Tyler.

After riding, we had opening ceremonies.  We had a big parade with all the different series across the country.  We walk through Center Village and each series is introduced one by one.  We did the National Anthem.  the Maine Mountain Series was really loud.

Tomorrow I have my first competition.  I have Giant Slalom and so does my mom and Tyler.  I am very nervous and excited.  See you through the Blog tomorrow.

Mason